Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Kindness shines through in Georgia. 12/16/09

Being from California, I consider myself something of an expert on the topic of neighborly love. In California, this time of year especially, cold shoulders and dirty looks abound. Everyone is in a hurry. The stores are packed and the overall mood is....well let's just say "Christmas Spirit" is not all around.

From our first day in Atlanta I've noticed the vast differences in people's general attitudes. While I wouldn't say that the "southern hospitality" myth is completely accurate, I will say that striking up conversation with strangers in more likely here in the South. People say hello, nod when they pass each other, hold doors open, etc.

I'm not saying that California is a horrible place to live, or that Californians are a certain way. I just think that everyone is so wrapped up in their busy lives that they've forgotten the little things that make a community a community.

Amidst the hustle and bustle of Holiday shoppers here in Georgia, kindness shines through every where I go. From the neighborhood police officers enjoying coffee and conversation at the local Starbucks (there's only one in my town) to the large amount of companies running charities for families in need. In the last few weeks I've talked to more strangers than I have in the years I spent in California. Our town isn't decorated to the hilt. It's not so crowded you have to spend 45 minutes looking for a parking spot. And it's cold outside. Yet, the Spirit does seem to be everywhere around me. It's enough to warm the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment